Where you will be hunting
We have experienced and passionate hunting guides who will take you through scouted land to where the most game is. We hunt a 35 mile area where the the big bush country yields to farmlands and timber cuts providing huge expanses of country to hunt in. This is an area well known for it’s big whitetails by the locals and only just opened to nonresident hunters in recent years.
Our Ontario guided hunting vacations take place in our approximately 8000 acres plus private land along with approximately 25,000 acres of remote government land. We hope to hunt over hundreds of thousands more that are available that we are currently scouting.
While some stands will be overlooking fields or cuts and could require long range shooting most stands are situated in the bush with shots average 40-100 yards to maximize contact during the bucks daytime movements. Lots of our bucks are shot from 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
How will you be hunting
This not a canned, fenced or guaranteed hunt. You will earn your trophy and we expect you to hunt as hard and diligently as we work to put you on them. We like to book true hunters who realize that they are here for a trophy but also measure the quality and experience of a hunt by more than just the kill. Come with this attitude and you will not be disappointed.
For each hunting trip you will be provided with 1 or 2 guides and you’ll be given the best information on how we do our hunting and the most effective way to hunt the game. We don’t want you to waste anytime with us so we make sure each of our hunters are fully prepared for the hunt ahead. Our Eagle Lake guided hunting vacations cannot be compared to any other hunting experience you’ve ever had, we are truly one of a kind.
Hunting strategy is discussed and stands picked according to wind, weather and recent sign for the hunt. Some stands you are taken to by ATV, some by 4WD truck then ATV, some 4WD truck and or ATV then a short walk and some require a long walk in after a drive. Your capabilities and wishes will be discussed beforehand. We hunt from dawn till dark out of ground blinds, 12-16 foot ladder stands and some portable lock-in stands situated along key runways, scrapes, travel corridors and feeding areas.
We also have portable blinds that can cover stands and can be heated if the weather gets to cold. Most stands will also be baited to keep does in the area, this keeps the bucks competitive, coming in from other areas constantly checking for does in estrus and very receptive to calls and rattling.
Your guide will check on you at noon by radio, if you shot or killed a buck he will track and or retrieve your game and transport you to camp for congratulations, field dressing, pictures and care of your game. If not he will be scouting, setting and baiting stands (as he did in the a.m.) till he comes to check on you and pick you up at dark to take you back to the lodge for a another great meal (you will not go home having lost weight) and a recap of the days hunt. After that it’s back to your room complete with twin beds, hot showers, phone and color TV for a good nights sleep cause 4:00 a.m. will come again soon enough!
Items To Bring
- License or hunters safety card proving past hunting experience we can keep or photocopy or license cannot be issued. No exceptions, it is the law – IMPORTANT!
- WARM CLOTHING, HAT AND BOOTS, layered clothing and felt lined boots are essential. Do not under estimate needs, you will be on stand from daylight till dark with average temperatures from 30 degrees to -20 degrees. The colder the weather the more big deer we will kill so come prepared to stick it out, if you are just trying to survive the day you will not kill many bucks.
- 50% non-camo blaze orange jacket or vest and hat – IMPORTANT!
- Backpack to carry clothing into stands to prevent sweating.
- Weapon of at least .25 caliber for rifles with a good partition style bullet (we would prefer you use .270 to .300 caliber, these are tough, big bodied animals that can absorb and take a punch). For muzzle loaders we recommend .50 caliber (scopes and in-lines are legal) and 50# bows or 150# crossbows (legal).
- Personal safety strap – IMPORTANT!
- Small portable propane heater if you want one in your blind and hand warmers.
- If you have a climber or strap in stand bring it if you desire, sometimes we find a hot setup while scouting we may want to stick you in the next day before light rather than going back in again to set a stand to minimize human scent and activity.
- If you smoke, bring along a nicotine substitute to get you through the day, no smoking allowed on stands – IMPORTANT!
- Scent free bag for hunting clothing during transportation, meals, and lodging.
- Scent eliminators are advised, (scent shields etc., but scent lock suits are excellent because our wind directions can shift several times a day or at mid day) but do not use scents either sex or cover up without guides consent.
- Grunt Call.
- Soft case for transporting weapon to and from stands during darkness hours – IMPORTANT!